Matatalab: Sailboat (Gr. 2-3)
In this lesson, students will create a sailboat using the Matatalab Art Add-On Set. Students will use the basic triangle shape coded in the Draw 2 Warm-Up Card for the sails. They will then experiment with the angles in the set to create an outline for the boat. The completed sailboat will be mounted on a large sheet of white paper and students will complete the project by adding an ocean scene.
- Learn how to code and manipulate MatataBot in order to create shapes needed for a sailboat and to create triangles for two sails.
- Experiment with Matatalab coding to create a unique shape for the sailboat hull.
- Create an ocean scene to include a sailboat, ocean waves, sun, and maritime wildlife.
Curriculum Connections Summary
- Ontario – Coding & Art
- British Columbia – ADST & Art
- Alberta & Nova Scotia – ICT & Art
- New Brunswick, Quebec, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Prince Edward Island, & Newfoundland and Labrador – Art
Find Out More
Screen Free: A more friendly way to learn fundamental coding concepts at a very early age. A physical way to learn abstract coding ideas without screen-time.
Words Free: The coding blocks have intuitive graphical symbols on them, building confidence for kids to predict the movement of the robot as well as to test and confirm their reasoning.
Game Based Learning: With Matatalab, if kids don't feel like seriously coding, they are play maze game adventures.