Matatalab: Map Making (Gr. 1-2)
In this lesson, students will understand the importance of using and creating a map, the importance of using a grid, and learn new ways to code their robot using advanced coding blocks. Students will be made familiar with different types of maps and ways in which to use grids to make it easier to find specific locations. Students will then create their own maps while using a basic grid. Finally, students will use more advanced coding blocks to create functions or condensed sequences, loops, and numbered parameters for their robots.
- Learn about the importance of maps and the usage of grids
- Create an original map that includes a basic grid
- Learn about more advanced coding blocks
- Utilized the more advanced coding blocks to navigate around the maps
Curriculum Connections Summary
- Ontario - Coding & Social Sciences
- British Columbia - ADST
- Alberta - ICT & Social Sciences
- Nova Scotia - ICT
- New Brunswick, Quebec, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, PEI, and Newfoundland - Social Studies
Find Out More
Screen Free: A more friendly way to learn fundamental coding concepts at a very early age. A physical way to learn abstract coding ideas without screen-time.
Words Free: The coding blocks have intuitive graphical symbols on them, building confidence for kids to predict the movement of the robot as well as to test and confirm their reasoning.
Game Based Learning: With Matatalab, if kids don't feel like seriously coding, they are play maze game adventures.