Codey Rocky: Ecosystems Interactions (Grade 7-8)
In this lesson, students learn about the biotic and abiotic components of an ecosystem and discover the ways organisms interact with one another and their environment. Students will work in pairs to complete three programming challenges. First, students program Codey Rocky to "forage" for food in a mutualistic relationship with their “prey” (much like a plant-pollinator interaction). In the second challenge, students program Codey Rocky to complete with another Codey Rocky. In the third and final challenge, students program Codey Rocky for predation within ecosystems. Code the functions for your interaction using another group and their Codey Rocky!
1. By the end of this lesson students will be able to describe what Functions are and how they work in their ecosystems interactions.
2. By the end of this lesson, students will be able to describe the three main types of ecosystem interactions: mutualism, competition, predation (including herbivory and parasitism).
3. By the end of this lesson students will be able to program Codey Rocky using different Functions along with movements and actions to describe different interactions within the ecosystem between biotic and abiotic organisms.
Curriculum Connections Summary
- Ontario - Mathematics - Algebra (Coding) & Science
- Quebec - Science
- New Brunswick - Science
- Nova Scotia - ICT
- Alberta - Science & ICT/CTF
- British Columbia - Science & ADST
- Manitoba - Science
- Prince Edward Island - Science
- Saskatchewan - Science
- Newfoundland & Labrador - Science
- Yukon Territories - Follow's B.C.'s Curriculum
- Northwest Territories - Follows Alberta's Curriculum
- Nunavut - Follows Alberta's Curriculum
Find Out More
Write your first line of code!
Codey Rocky combines hardware with software, allowing children to learn about programming while they play and create. Using mBlock, a software which supports both blocked-based and Python programming, Codey Rocky takes children by their hands and leads them into the world of technology with its in-built AI and IoT functionalities, giving them a competitive edge in the AI era.