Codey Rocky: Dr. Codey Rocky (Grade 5-6)
In this lesson, students will learn how to create a triage robot capable of interacting with a patient to determine whether they require further help. Then students can write code that would accept key inputs to record heart beats and then convert this number to a common unit, heart beats per minute. The user’s heart beats per minute will be displayed on the LED screen. Finally, students will finish their program by adding a feature that has their Codey Rocky inform the user whether they have a healthy heart rate, and displaying an animation on the LED screen that shows roughly how fast the user’s heart is beating by adding a feature that tells the user or patient whether they have a healthy resting heart rate, or not.
1. By the end of this lesson students will be able to describe what If-Then and If-Then-Else Statements are and how they work in getting a user's input.
2. By the end of this lesson students will be able to program Codey Rocky using different if-then and if-then-else statements along with movements and actions to take your heart rate, determine if you are healthy and display your actual heart rate on the screen.
Curriculum Connections Summary
- Ontario - Mathematics - Algebra (Coding) & Science
- Quebec - Science
- New Brunswick - Science
- Nova Scotia - Science & ICT
- Alberta - ICT
- British Columbia - ADST
- Manitoba - Science
- Prince Edward Island - Science
- Saskatchewan - Science
- Newfoundland & Labrador - Science
- Yukon Territories - Follow's B.C.'s Curriculum
- Northwest Territories - Follows Alberta's Curriculum
- Nunavut - Follows Alberta's Curriculum
Find Out More
Write your first line of code!
Codey Rocky combines hardware with software, allowing children to learn about programming while they play and create. Using mBlock, a software which supports both blocked-based and Python programming, Codey Rocky takes children by their hands and leads them into the world of technology with its in-built AI and IoT functionalities, giving them a competitive edge in the AI era.