mBot: Sequencing in Practice (Grade 5-6)
In this lesson, students will enhance their understanding of sequencing. The assignment is to create a “Storyteller Bot” which could tell a story involving information input by the user. Besides, this lesson will also introduce a new concept – the variable – to help achieve this function. This activity uses the PRIMM approach. First, students will predict the function of the demo program and then run it to see what actually happens. Students need to investigate how the demo program works and modify the demo to add some new effects to the demo program. Building on the hand-on experience, students are encouraged to make their own projects to demonstrate their understanding of this lesson.
- Explain the meaning of sequencing in programming.
- Create appropriate programming scripts to make an interactive project.
- Demonstrate the importance of the sequence that a well-defined sequential algorithm affects the execution of programs.
Curriculum Connections Summary
- Ontario - Mathematics - Algebra (Coding) & Science
- Quebec - Science
- New Brunswick - Science
- Nova Scotia - Science & ICT
- Alberta - Science & ICT
- British Columbia - Science & ADST
- Manitoba - Science
- Prince Edward Island - Science
- Saskatchewan - Science
- Newfoundland & Labrador - Science
- Yukon Territories - Follow's B.C.'s Curriculum
- Northwest Territories - Follows Alberta's Curriculum
- Nunavut - Follows Alberta's Curriculum