mBot: Frere Jacques (Grade 3-4)
In this lesson, students will explore the concept of repetition by composing the song Frère Jacques in mBlock. The repetition construct helps reduce the repetitive parts of a program, and therefore, makes it clear and easy to read and write. A piece of melody may involve repetitive structures. Students are welcome to translate the song into programming scripts and make a sprite “sing” the song.
- Explain the meaning of repetition associated with the relevant real-life examples.
- Identify the repetitive part of computer code and utilize appropriate constructs to make the program simple and efficient.
- Create appropriate programming scripts to compose a song through mBlock.
Curriculum Connections Summary
- Ontario - Mathematics - Algebra (Coding) & Science
- Quebec - Science
- New Brunswick - Science
- Nova Scotia - Science & ICT
- Alberta - Science & ICT
- British Columbia - Science & ADST
- Manitoba - Science
- Prince Edward Island - Science
- Saskatchewan - Science
- Newfoundland & Labrador - Science
- Yukon Territories - Follow's B.C.'s Curriculum
- Northwest Territories - Follows Alberta's Curriculum
- Nunavut - Follows Alberta's Curriculum