Dash's Basketball Challenge (Gr.2-4)
Take on Dash's Basketball Challenge! Can you program Dash to launch a ball into the basket? Students will test and investigate the best settings that can be used with the launcher to accurately make the basket. They will practice measuring distances and collecting data before sharing their results with the class!
- Practice using Drive and Launcher blocks in Blockly.
- Apply coding skills, such as sequencing and parameters, to program Dash to launch a ball into the basketball hoop.
- Plan and carry out investigations on how distance and energy affect the launcher's aim.
- Collect, analyze, and interpret data on the success and failures for the basketball challenge.
- Class 1: 50 minutes
Curriculum Connections Summary
- Ontario - Mathematics - Algebra (Coding)
- Quebec - Mathematics
- New Brunswick - Mathematics
- Nova Scotia - Mathematics & ICT
- Alberta - Mathematics & ICT
- British Columbia - Mathematics & ADST
- Manitoba - Mathematics
- Prince Edward Island - Mathematics
- Saskatchewan - Mathematics
- Newfoundland & Labrador - Mathematics
- Yukon Territories - Follow's B.C.'s Curriculum
- Northwest Territories - Follows Alberta's Curriculum
- Nunavut - Follows Alberta's Curriculum
Robots and Accessories
- Launcher accessory and balls (1 per group)
- Mini basketball hoop stand (1 per group): See preparation section to see link of where to purchase
- Masking Tape (1 roll per group)
- Ruler (1 per group)
- Basketball Challenge Recording Sheet (1 per group)
- Optional: Layout Reference Sheet (1 per group)
- Tablets - See Tablet Compatibility