Dash & Dot: Dash Long Jump: Who Went the Farthest? (Gr. 4-5)
Comparing fractions is an essential skill to have in everyday life. In this lesson, students will use Dash to model equivalent fractions on a number line. Students will also compare the values of fractions with like denominators or like numerators.
- Understand that two fractions are equivalent (equal) if they are the same size, or they have the same position on a number line.
- Recognize simple equivalent fractions.
- Compare two fractions with the same numerator or the same denominator by reasoning about their size.
- Record the results of fraction comparisons with the symbols >, =, or <, and justify the conclusions, using a visual fraction model.
- Grade 4 - Mathematics, Number Sense and Numeration, Equivalent fractions
- Grade 5 - Mathematics, Equivalent Fractions, ADST
- Grade 5 - Mathematics, Number, Equivalent Fractions, ICT
- Class 1: Equivalent Fractions on a Number Line (15 - 20 minutes)
- Class 2: Finding More Equivalent Fractions (20 - 30 minutes)
- Class 3: Comparing Fractions with Like Denominators (15 - 20 minutes)
- Class 4: Comparing Fractions with Like Numerators (20 - 30 minutes)