Operations with fractions can be a tough concept for many students to grasp. In this lesson, students will learn how to multiply a whole number by a fraction using a number line and Dash for a visual representation. Students will then write word problems involving this concept, swap with a neighbor, and present the solution to the class using Dash as a visual representation.
Recognize that a fraction a/b is a multiple of 1/b.
Recognize that a multiple of a/b is also a multiple of 1/b, and use this understanding to multiply a fraction by a whole number.
Solve word problems involving multiplication of a fraction by a whole number, using visual fraction models and equations to represent the problem.
- Grade 8 - Math, fractions
- Class 1: Applaud for Dash Part 1 (25 - 30 minutes)
- Class 2: Applaud for Dash Part 2 (25 - 30 minutes)
- Class 3: A Fraction of a Story (20 - 30 minutes)
- Class 4: Presentation Time (20 - 30 minutes)