Dash & Dot: Adventures in a Fractional World (Gr. 7 & 8)
Operations with fractions can be a tough concept for many students to grasp. In this lesson, students will learn how to multiply a whole number by a fraction using a number line and Dash for a visual representation. Students will then write word problems involving this concept, swap with a neighbour, and present the solution to the class using Dash as a visual representation.
Recognize that a fraction a/b is a multiple of 1/b.
Recognize that a multiple of a/b is also a multiple of 1/b, and use this understanding to multiply a fraction by a whole number.
Solve word problems involving multiplication of a fraction by a whole number, using visual fraction models and equations to represent the problem.
- Class 1: Applaud for Dash Part 1 (25 - 30 minutes)
- Class 2: Applaud for Dash Part 2 (25 - 30 minutes)
- Class 3: A Fraction of a Story (20 - 30 minutes)
- Class 4: Presentations (20 - 30 minutes)
Curriculum Connections Summary
- Ontario - Mathematics - Algebra (Coding)
- Quebec - Mathematics
- New Brunswick - Mathematics
- Nova Scotia - Mathematics & ICT
- Alberta - Mathematics & ICT/CTF
- British Columbia - Mathematics & ADST
- Manitoba - Mathematics
- Prince Edward Island - Mathematics
- Saskatchewan - Mathematics
- Newfoundland & Labrador - Mathematics
- Yukon Territories - Follow's B.C.'s Curriculum
- Northwest Territories - Follows Alberta's Curriculum
- Nunavut - Follows Alberta's Curriculum