Python: Body Mass Index Calculator (Gr. 9-10)
In this lesson, students will be introduced to if statements in Python through a BMI Calculator application. The if statement is used to assess information and choose one course of action or another for decision making. This construct processes conditional execution of a statement or a group of statements according to the value of an expression. Students will learn about conditional algorithms and develop a BMI Calculator to assess their weight status.
- Using Python conditional statements (if statement)
- The effect of indentation
- Logic comparison operators used within conditional statements
Curriculum Connections Summary
- Ontario - Mathematics & Computer Science
- Quebec - Coming Soon!
- New Brunswick - Coming Soon!
- Nova Scotia - Coming Soon!
- Alberta - Coming Soon!
- British Columbia - Coming Soon!
- Manitoba - Coming Soon!
- Prince Edward Island - Coming Soon!
- Saskatchewan - Coming Soon!
- Newfoundland & Labrador - Coming Soon!
- Yukon Territories - Follow's B.C.'s Curriculum
- Northwest Territories - Follows Alberta's Curriculum
- Nunavut - Follows Alberta's Curriculum
Find Out More
mBlock and Python Coding - The Programming Language of the Future
Python is an interpreted, object-oriented, high-level programming language with dynamic semantics. Python's simple, easy to learn syntax emphasizes readability and therefore reduces the cost of program maintenance. With mBlock, Python supports modules and packages, which encourages program modularity and code reuse. The Python interpreter and the extensive standard library are available in source or binary form.