F6: Assessment - Designing Solutions for the World
Level F, Lesson 6: In this lesson, students will work in small groups, using the Dash robot to solve a schoolwide problem. Students will use the Design Thinking Process to design an accessory and code for Dash as a solution(s). Then they will plan, build, test and retest.
- Brainstorm solutions to a classroom problem.
- Demonstrate and use the coding concepts introduced in Level F to program a set of instructions for Dash to follow. This would include: Functions, Nested Conditionals and Variables.
- Determine and/or clarify the meaning of terminology related to coding and design.
- Apply the steps of the Design Thinking Process to construct a new accessory for Dash.
- Document the Design Thinking Process in their Design Thinking Workbook.
- Explain their ideas to peers and teachers.
- Create an engaging presentation about their design to share with the class.
1 - 3 students
5 - 6
What You'll Need
Robots & Accessories
- * 1 tablet per group
- * scratch paper (or work can be done online)
- * printouts of Design Thinking Workbook (1 per group)
- * clipboards
- * pencils (1 per student)
- * recycled materials (e.g., cardboard, paper plates, spoons, rubber bands, scratch paper, foil, straws, folders)
- * (optional) 1 laptop or desktop per group