Being able to recognize and analyze patterns is an important skill when learning to program. In this lesson, students will learn how variables can be used to program patterns.
Recognize that a pattern follows a rule.
Identify apparent features of the pattern that are not explicit in the rule itself.
Understand that a variable is a value that can change.
- Identify the rule for a pattern.
- Grade 4 - Mathematics, Patterning & Algebra
- Grade 5 - Mathematics, Patterns, Variables, ADST
- Grade 5 - Mathematics, Patterns and Relations, Variables, ICT, Foundational Operations, Knowledge and Concepts
- Class 1: Patterns and Variables (30 - 40 minutes)
- Class 2: A Personal Understanding of Variables (20 minutes)
- Class 3: Programming Challenge (30 - 40 minutes)